Recommended Books, Articles and Tips
Recommended Parent Books:
- Principles of Good Parenting: A Handbook for Bringing Up Mentally Healthy and Happy Children by Louise K. Iscoe
- The Incredible Years by Carolyn Webster-Stratton
- Taking Charge of ADHD: The Complete Authoritative Guide for Parents (Revised Edition) by Russell Barkley
- How To Talk So Kids Will Listen and Listen So Kids Will Talk by Adele Faber and Elaine Mazlish
- Kids Cooperation: How to Stop Yelling, Nagging, and Pleading and Get Kids to Cooperate by Elizabeth Pantley
- The Explosive Child: A New Approach to Understanding and Parenting Easily Frustrated, Chronically Inflexible Children by Ross Green
- How to Deal With Your Acting Up Teenager by Robert T. Bayard, Ph.D. and Jean Bayard, Ph.D.
- The Kazdin Method for Parenting the Defiant Child: With No Pills, No Therapy, No Contest of Wills by Allen Kazdin
1-2-3 Magic: Effective Discipline for Children 2-12 (123 Magic) by Thomas Phelan
- Boys and Girls Book about Divorce by Richard A. Gardner, M.D.
- Keys to Single Parenting by Carl Pickhardt, Ph.D.
- The Parents Book About Divorce by Richard A. Gardner, M.D.
- Siblings without Rivalry by Adele Faber and Elaine Mazlish
Young Children’s Books about Moods and Feelings:
Below are a list of books for children to read or for parents to read to them. Be sure to check out your library
- Attention, Girls! A Guide to Learn All About Your ADHD by Patricia O. Quinn
- Mind Over Basketball: Coach Yourself to Handle Stress by Jane Weierbach and Elizabeth Phillips-Hershey
- My Mom and Dad Don't Live Together Anymore: A Drawing Book For Children of Separated or Divorced Parents by Judith Aron Rubin, Ph.D.
- How to Take the Grrrr Out of Anger by Elizabeth Verdick and Marjorie Lisoviskis
- Jessica and the Wolf: A Story for Children Who Have Bad Dreams by Ted Lobby, MSW
- A Terrible Thing Happened: A Story for Children Who Have Witnessed Violence or Trauma by Margaret M. Holmes
- I Want Your Moo: A Story for Children About Self-Esteem by Marcella Bakur Weiner and Jill Neimark
- HUGS by Jez Alborough
- When Sophie Gets Angry-Really, Really Angry by Molly Bang
- The Way I Feel by Janan Cain
- The Brand New Kid by Katie Couric
- Baby Faces by Dutton
- Sad Days, Glad Days: A Story About Depression by Dewitt Hamilton
- On Monday When It Rained by Cherryl Kachenmeister
- Today I Feel Silly: And Other Moods That Make My Day by Jamie Lee Curtis
- What Are YOU So Grumpy About? By Tom Lichtenheld
- Where the Wild Things Areby Maurice Sendak
- My Many Colored Days by Dr. Seuss
- Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day by Judith Viorst
- Love and Kisses by Sarah Wilson