Overview: Dialectic Behavior Therapy for Adolescents (DBT-A) is an evidence-based treatment for teens who need support with confusion about self, impulsivity, lack of emotional control, interpersonal problems, and/or adolescent-family dilemmas. Teens with high-risk behaviors such as suicidal thoughts or attempts, self-injurious behaviors, or substance misuse have also been shown to benefit from the treatment. DBT-A is a comprehensive therapy aimed at building a life worth living and reducing factors that get in the way of enjoying life and achieving personal goals.
(1) understand structure and functions of DBT treatment modalities
(2) improve knowledge of biosocial theory, dialectics, and risk assessment
(3) improve knowledge on DBT treatment strategies
Presented by: Dr. Samantha Miller is a licensed psychologist who has been awarded American Board of Professional Psychology specialty certification in Child Clinical and Adolescent Psychology. Dr. Miller has completed Intensive Training for DBT-A (Linehan Institute/Behavioral Tech). In addition to her role as a practicing clinician, Dr. Miller is also a courtesy clinical assistant professor in the Department of Psychiatry at Dell Medical School, where she provides clinical instruction and supervision to doctoral candidates, fellows, and medical residents. In addition, she consults with psychiatric hospitals, outpatient mental health programs, and therapeutic schools around the implementation of evidence-based treatments.
Who should attend: This workshop is appropriate for practicing mental health professionals or those participating in graduate training for a mental health profession. This workshop is best suited for participants who have experience with child/adolescent therapy.
Date: Thursday, October 10, 2019
Time: 8:30 am - 11:30 am
Location: Austin Child Guidance Center
810 W. 45th St., Austin, TX 78751
CEUs: Six hours (6) of continuing education are offered for clinical social workers, licensed professional counselors, and psychologists.
• Participants must attend both days of the workshop.
• ACGC is an approved CEU provider for clinical social workers and licensed professional counselors.
• ACGC is approved by the Texas Psychological Association to offer professional development credits for psychologists (TPA PD Endorsement number 2018 -01).
There are a limited number of tickets available, so act fast!